Hastelloy B3 alloy (UNS N10675) is an excellent resistance alloy to hydrochloric acid at all concentrations and temperatures. It also withstands sulfuric, acetic, formic and phosphoric acids, and other nonoxidizing media. B-3 alloy has a special chemistry designed to achieve a level of thermal stability greatly superior to that of its predecessors, e.g. HASTELLOY B-2 alloy.
B-3 alloy has excellent resistance to pitting corrosion, to stress-corrosion cracking and to knife-line and heat-affected zone attack. Alloy B-3 has poor corrosion resistance to oxidizing environments, therefore, it is not recommended for use in oxidizing media or in the presence of ferric or cupric salts because they may cause rapid premature corrosion failure.
These salts may develop when hydrochloric acid comes in contact with iron and copper. Therefore, if this nickel steel alloy is used in conjunction with iron or copper piping in a system containing hydrochloric acid, the presence of these salts could cause the alloy to fail prematurely.
Hastelloy B3 Features
- Maintains excellent ductility during transient exposures to intermediate temperatures
- Excellent resistance to pitting, corrosion and stress-corrosion cracking
- Excellent resistance to knife-line and heat-affected zone attack
- Excellent resistance to acetic, formic and phosphoric acids and other non-oxidizing media
- Resistance to hydrochloric acid at all concentrations and temperatures
- Thermal stability superior to alloy B-2
Chemical Analysis of Hatelloy B3 (UNS N10775)
Ni Mo Fe c Co Cr Mn Si Ti W Al Cu 65.0 min 28.5 1.5 0.01 max 3.0 max 1.5 3.0 max 10 max 0.2 max 3.0 max 0.50 max 0.20 max
Hastelloy B3 Application
- Chemical processes
- Vacuum furnaces
- Mechanical components in reducing environments
Density: 0.333 lb/inch3 Melting Point:2500-2585F Electrical Resistivity:651 Ohm - circ mil/ft
Temperature 200 400 600 800 1000 1200 1400 1600 Coefficient of Thermal Expansion 5.7 6.1 6.3 6.5 6.6 6.5 7.1 7.6 Modulus of Elasticity 30.9 30.1 29.3 28.3 27.2 26.5 24.9 23.3
* 70F to indicated temperature.
Mechanical Properties - Annealed Material
Product Tensile Min. (ksi) .2% Yield Min. (ksi) Elongation Min. Rod & Bar Sheet/Plate Welded Pipe & Tube Seamless Pipe & Tube